The Council of Legal Education (CLE) has warned candidates awaiting their Call to the Bar against wearing barristers’ wigs and gowns or presenting themselves as qualified legal practitioners before their official admission to the Nigerian Bar.
In a notice issued by the Council’s Secretary and Director of Administration, Aderonke Osho, the council said candidates found violating the directive risk disciplinary measures that could affect their eligibility to be called to the Bar.
The council also instructed candidates who have already posted photographs, videos or other content showing themselves dressed in legal regalia before their Call to the Bar to immediately remove such materials from all social media and online platforms.
According to the notice, the directive became necessary following what the council described as a “rising and unacceptable trend” of candidates circulating invitations, photographs and videos of themselves in full legal attire while portraying themselves as qualified legal practitioners ahead of the official Call to the Bar ceremonies.
The council further expressed concern that some candidates have been referring to themselves as “Barristers and Solicitors of the Supreme Court of Nigeria” and adding the title “Esquire” to their names before their formal admission to the Bar.
It noted that such actions violate Section 22 of the Legal Practitioners Act, which regulates who may hold themselves out as legal practitioners in Nigeria.
The notice also criticised the practice of wearing wigs and gowns with casual or unauthorised clothing, describing it as inconsistent with the dignity and professional standards associated with legal regalia. It said the practice contravenes Rule 45 of the Rules of Professional Conduct.
The council warned that failure to remove the prohibited content from social media could result in disciplinary action and may adversely affect a candidate’s eligibility and fitness for Call to the Bar.
The warning comes as the council conducts the 2026 Call to the Bar ceremonies for candidates who successfully passed the December 2025 Bar Final Examinations. The ceremonies are scheduled to hold from July 7 to July 10 at the Body of Benchers Complex in Abuja.
The Call to the Bar is the final stage of legal education in Nigeria, during which graduates of the Nigerian Law School are formally admitted to the Nigerian Bar by the Body of Benchers, qualifying them to practise law.
Until that formal admission, candidates are not recognised as legal practitioners and are therefore not entitled to describe themselves as Barristers and Solicitors of the Supreme Court of Nigeria, use the title “Esquire” in that capacity, or otherwise present themselves as qualified lawyers.
The Council of Legal Education, the statutory body responsible for legal education in Nigeria, oversees the Nigerian Law School, sets standards for legal training, accredits university law faculties and recommends successful candidates for Call to the Bar.
While the council has not previously issued a similar warning ahead of Call to the Bar ceremonies, it said this year’s directive was prompted by the increasing number of candidates publicly portraying themselves as lawyers before completing the formal admission process. It reiterated that candidates who fail to comply with the directive could face sanctions that may jeopardise their admission to the Nigerian Bar.




