Sunday, August 23, 2026
23.2 C
Abuja

Oyo Government Denies Paying Ransom for Abducted Pupils and Teachers

Share

The Oyo State Government has dismissed reports alleging that it paid ransom to secure the release of pupils and teachers abducted by armed bandits in Oriire Local Government Area, describing the claims as false and misleading.

In a statement issued on Friday, the State Commissioner for Information, Dotun Oyelade, said the reports were fabricated and intended to spread misinformation and create unnecessary panic among residents.

According to Oyelade, the Oyo State Government, in collaboration with the Federal Government and security agencies, has continued to make coordinated efforts to ensure the safe return of the victims without negotiating or paying ransom.

He emphasized that no payment had been made to the abductors, either directly or through intermediaries.

“The reports suggesting that the government paid ransom are completely untrue. We urge members of the public to disregard such misleading information and rely only on verified updates from official government sources,” the commissioner stated.

Oyelade further assured residents that the government remains committed to securing the safe release of the abducted schoolchildren and teachers while supporting security agencies in ongoing rescue operations.

The victims were kidnapped on May 15 when armed bandits attacked three schools in the Yawota and Ahoro-Esienle communities of Oriire Local Government Area during a coordinated assault. The attack claimed the life of one teacher, while several pupils and staff members were taken away by the attackers.

More than six weeks after the incident, the abductees remain in captivity as security agencies, with the support of both the state and federal governments, continue efforts to secure their freedom and bring those responsible to justice.

The Oyo State Government reiterated its commitment to protecting the lives of residents and called on the public to avoid spreading unverified reports that could undermine ongoing security operations.

Hot this week

TRCN Sets December 2027 Deadline: Unlicensed Teachers May Be Barred From Classrooms

The Teachers Registration Council of Nigeria (TRCN) has announced...

BREAKING: Tinubu Orders Arrest, Suspends Three Perm Secs Over Alleged Fake Agency in SGF’s Office

President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate arrest of...

NECO Boss Rises to AEAA Vice-President as Nigeria Wins 2027 African Assessment Conference

The Registrar and Chief Executive of the National Examinations...

Fubara Calls for Skills Revolution, Says Nigeria Must Move Beyond Certificate-Driven Education

Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, has called for a...

FEC Approves Recovered Funds for Education, Channels Looted Assets Through NELFUND

The Federal Executive Council (FEC) has approved the release...

Topics

spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories